Here's how (very loosely) the scientific method works:
- Ask a question about something you observe.
- Do some background research.
- Develop an educated guess about why or how things happen.
- Test your guess (hypotheses) through experimentation.
- Analyze your data and draw a conclusion.
- Then either communicate your results or back up and draw a new hypotheses with the new information.
At any rate ... it's more fun in a group - especially when it comes to debating the whys and wherefores and the conclusions.